Warm weather is coming! That means short sleeves, blooming flowers, and more outdoor activities for all. If you’re someone who loves spending time by the pool, you know that mosquitoes can be a real buzzkill. These pests can be around much earlier than you think. April and March are prime months for mosquitoes, they only need a temperature of 50 degrees to thrive. In fact, they never really go away. Most people use mosquito sprays to prevent them, but they aren’t just toxic to insects, either. Runoff can wash these chemicals from our yards into surface waters, where they can poison other living things like fish and crustaceans, which are highly sensitive to pyrethroids. That’s why, before you reach for the bug spray, consider using plants to keep mosquitoes away from your pool.
With Mother’s Day coming in the Memphis Area, one of the most common gifts are flowers, they make them feel special, loved, cherished. And what is better than plants or flowers that will have double function, they will look pretty around our pools and take away mosquitos. Here are some of the best plants that are natural mosquito repellents:
- Citronella: is the most well-known plant for repelling mosquitoes. You won’t need to water these plants every day and are very easy to grow. Citronella is safe for bees, and won’t repel spiders or other useful insects. They can protect you for up to 2 hours. With Spring having sprung landscaping, these plants have pretty and unique foliage that is rich in texture and pretty pink blooms that bloom throughout summer so you can plant citronella in the ground or in pots around your pool area to keep mosquitoes away while enjoying your pool.
- Lavender: is a beautiful plant with a sweet fragrance that humans love, but mosquitoes hate. Its strong scent can repel moths, flies, fleas, and mosquitoes. Lavender requires full sun, so they work perfectly in this coming summer season. There are many different varieties available to choose from including varying flower types, flower colors, and heights. Plant lavender in pots or in the ground near your pool to keep mosquitoes away from your pool. Not only will it help repel mosquitoes, but it will also add a lovely aroma to your pool area.
- Lemon Balm: As its name says its a plant that contains high levels of lemony aroma and flavor that bugs find so unpleasant. These plants require frequent trimming to ensure that its foliage does not grow unruly. There are 2 ways to use them. First, crush the leaves to release the scent and rub them on your skin, this will help keep mosquitoes away from your pool. And second, plant lemon balm in pots or in the ground around your pool area to create a natural barrier.
- Marigolds: They are colorful and beautiful plants perfect to plant for March, April, or May. Marigolds have a distinctive smell which mosquitoes, and some other insects, find particularly offensive. Marigolds contain Pyrethrum, a compound used in many insect repellents.Grow them in pots and place them near your patio or entrance to your home to keep bugs out.
- Catnip: The plant that cats love, but mosquitoes hate. Its distinctive smell repels mosquitoes and other garden pests, including squash bugs and tomato worms. But don’t be scared, they don’t do anything to your cats. Catnip is an excellent garden plant that will bloom through much of summer. Here you can find out how to grow a catnip plant. Plant it in pots or in the ground around your pool area to keep mosquitoes away.
Help keep your pool area bug-free using plants to keep mosquitoes away, and creating a beautiful and natural barrier. In addition to these plants, there are many other natural mosquito repellents that you can use around your pool area, such as rosemary, basil, and mint.
Selling your house can be a lot of work even at the best of times like in summer. There’s the hassle and the headache and the effort. You can increase your chances of selling your home quickly and at the best possible price when you make little details like take away the mosquitoes in your pool area during your showcases. But did you know there’s another way that takes WAY less work, time, and mess? That’s right! You can sell your house directly to us here at Memfixerupper for cash.
Click here now and fill out the form or call us at 901-450-5179 to let us know about your property to sell.